Wednesday, September 9, 2009

About Mommy Hints

I am a work-from-home mom trying to make a living to support my family (which includes two adorable boys). I am a writer by trade, graduating with a bachelor's degree in English and an editing minor. When the economy crunch hit, my position as an editor at Symantec (think Norton Antivirus) was eliminated. Since then, I've been working as a freelance writer writing mostly Web copy and informational articles.

As a mother, I'm always trying new products, whether it's a toy or a high chair or toilet paper, I'm buying new products and testing them out. I guess you could say I'm an unpaid product tester for a variety of companies. As I'm using these products, I'm constantly thinking of the pros and cons to each—what I like about them and what I don't like. It's driving me crazy because I'm thinking of how I would format a review and yet I have no outlet for these opinions.

So I decided to start a blog where I review products that I use at home. Because they're products I use every day, I really get a feel for how they work, more so than real product testers who might try them out for a few hours. Not only that, but because I'm not being paid to use these products, I have no biases, so you'll be guaranteed that the review is honest. If I ever am asked to review a product for a company, I'll make sure to note that in the review, but I will still be honest about it (so if you're a company who plans to send me a product to try out, just realize in advance that I will review honestly).

In addition to reviews, I will post hints I've found that work as a mother, whether it's how to get my preschooler to eat his vegetables or how to get housework done while keeping my toddler entertained. I realize that what works for me may not work for others, but if it doesn't work, it may help others in finding their own solution.

I really hope you enjoy my reviews and tips. If so, leave a comment and let me know. Also, because this blog was created to hopefully make a little extra (even if only $20 a month), if you use an RSS reader (such as Google Reader, which I love), please click on the link to visit my site too. I think RSS readers are great and convenient, but if you only read on there, I won't know that you like my reviews! And please feel free to click on any ads that interest you.

Thanks for visiting, and I hope to hear from you soon!