Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Hearty Oatmeal Applesauce Pancakes

Looking for a way to make pancakes heartier? Pancakes are definitely a family favorite, whether for breakfast or dinner, but if you're trying to find a way to make them better for your family, here's one delicious way:



1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/3 cup quick cooking oats
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon (depending on preference)
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sour cream
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk

  1. In a large bowl, mix together both flours, oats, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
  2. In a medium bowl, mix together applesauce, sour cream, egg and vanilla. 
  3. Combine applesauce mixture with flour mixture and milk till just mixed. If possible, let stand 5 minutes before cooking pancakes (I used the time to clean up the mess I made ;).
  4. Use a 1/4 measuring cup and scoop onto a heated griddle (lightly oiled. I used coconut oil, though if you look at the picture, I used way too much. Whoops :P). 
  5. Once golden brown on one side, flip and cook other side till golden brown. Note that these won't bubble like typical pancakes.

So now that I've covered how to make them, let me just say that these were SO GOOD! I was doubtful about the sour cream (not a big fan), but you don't taste it at all. The oatmeal gives it a great texture and adds something more to the pancakes. I added blueberries to some and that was pretty good too. I bet these would be great with some sliced bananas as well. 

(And yes, I need to do better about taking pictures, but I was too busy enjoying them to stop and take pictures of it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment